Heart disease is the leading killer accounting for about one-third of all deaths worldwide. Diet plays a major role in the health of heart and can affect your chances of heart disease. Although certain foods can increase your heart disease risk, it's often tough to change eating habits.
Eight heart-healthy diet tips:
1. Control your portion size
2. Eat more vegetables and fruits
3. Select whole grains
4. Limit unhealthy fats
5. Choose low-fat protein sources
6. Reduce the sodium in your food
7. Plan ahead: Create daily menus
8. Allow yourself an occasional treat
8 Heart-Healthy foods to work into your diet
There are certain foods can influence blood pressure, triglycerides, cholesterol levels and inflammation, all of which are risk factors for heart disease.
Here are 8 foods that you should be eating to maximize your heart health.
1. Leafy Green Vegetables: Leafy green vegetables like spinach, kale and collard greens are a great source of vitamin K, which helps protect your arteries and promote proper blood clotting. They’re also high in dietary nitrates, which have been shown to reduce blood pressure, decrease arterial stiffness and improve the function of cells lining the blood vessels.
2. Whole Grains: Whole grains are higher in fiber, which may help reduce “bad” LDL cholesterol and decrease the risk of heart disease.
3. Berries: Berries are rich in antioxidants like anthocyanin, which protect against the oxidative stress and inflammation that contribute to the development of heart disease.
4. Avocados: They are an excellent source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, which have been studied to reduced levels of cholesterol and a lower risk of heart disease.
5. Fatty Fish and Fish Oil: Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, sardines and tuna are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for their heart-health benefits.
6. Nuts: Almonds and Walnuts are a great source of fiber and micronutrients like magnesium, copper and manganese.
7. Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants like flavonoids, which can help boost heart health.
8. Seeds: Chia seeds, flaxseeds and hemp seeds are all great sources of heart-healthy nutrients, and can improve many heart disease risk factors, including inflammation, blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides.
Following a healthy heart diet can assist you lose weight, lower cholesterol, blood sugar level and blood pressure. It even boosts your energy because of the healthier food choices.